What Residents Should Do
Have you or your business been affected by the freeze (no power, no running water, frozen or damaged water pipes, water damage, etc.)? If so, the City of Seguin, Guadalupe County and the State of Texas needs you to fill out a short online form to help our local jurisdictions with eligibility for potential federal programs.

On Thursday, Feb. 18, Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced the statewide effort to collect damage assessment data for this unprecedented event. This information is being collected to help officials across the state gain an understanding of damages for individuals throughout Texas.

If you or your business were affected by the freeze, please help us by self-reporting damage to:

Handling Home Repairs
What to do if your pipes burst:

  • Document your damage by taking pictures
  • Contact a plumber. Click here for a list of licensed plumbing contractors who are registered with the City of Seguin.
  • Contact your homeowners insurance (most homeowner policies cover sudden and accidental water damage)
  • Contact your flood insurance (in the event your homeowners doesn’t cover)
  • Keep all receipts (pending reimbursement plan from state/federal partners)

Due to the record-setting winter storm, the City of Seguin is allowing emergency repairs to be conducted prior to obtaining the necessary permits.

Work on electrical systems, heating systems and plumbing lines that require immediate repair can be conducted on an emergency basis prior to obtaining the required City permit. Permits can be obtained from the City of Seguin's Development Services Center located at 108 E. Mountain Street.

For frozen pipes that are thawing and causing leaks, please be aware that plumbing permits are not required when a property owner or licensed plumber performs emergency repairs to or replacement of freeze-damaged or leaking concealed piping, provided the new piping doesn't exceed 5 feet in length.

Disaster Declaration Opens FEMA Assistance Process for Residents
With the Presidential disaster declaration issued for 77 counties in Texas, residents and businesses that sustained losses (including water damage) can now begin the process to apply for individual assistance. Assistance may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

There is a four-step process to begin application for assistance and registration is available online: 

  1. Take a photo of your damaged home and belongings
  2. Make a list of damaged or lost items
  3. If you have insurance, you must file a claim with your insurance company. If you do not have insurance, skip to step 4.
  4. Apply for assistance at or call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-4627585. You can also download the FEMA app.

Additional information is available at

Start Your Recovery Process

Help with Insurance Claims
Texas Department of Insurance

Price Gouging
Price gouging is illegal if a disaster has been declared by the Governor of Texas or the President, and businesses raise the price of their products to exorbitant or excessive rates to take advantage of the disaster declaration. Check out this link for more information on price gouging and how to file a consumer complaint:

Get Notifications