Qualifications for Employment
- Currently licensed Texas Peace Officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) or immediately able to obtain Texas Peace Officer License for current out-of-state licensed officers.
- Currently enrolled in a Texas Basic Peace Officer Academy within two months of scheduled graduation (proof of enrollment and graduation date must be provided prior to written examination)
- You must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- You must have a high school diploma or a GED.
- Never been convicted, plead guilty (nolo contendere), nor have I been on court-ordered community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class A misdemeanor or felony.
- During the last ten (10) years, you have not been convicted, plead guilty (nolo contendere), been on community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class B misdemeanor in this state, other state, or while serving in the military.
- You have never had a military court martial that resulted in a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge
- There are very few automatic basis for rejection. Even issues or prior misconduct, employee terminations, and arrests are usually not, in and of themselves, automatically disqualifying. However, deliberate misstatements or omissions can and often will result in your application being rejected, regardless of the nature or reason for the misstatements/omissions. In fact, the number one reason individuals “fail” background investigations is because they deliberately withhold or misrepresent job-relevant information from their prospective employer.