The Seguin Police Department offers rewarding law enforcement careers to men and women interested in becoming Police Officers who are certified or have already graduated from a police academy.
- To begin this process, download an application from:
Step 1. Aptitude Test
Applicants must pass the aptitude test with a minimum score of 70 percent. This (3 hour) timed exam covers five general knowledge areas:
- Reading and Comprehension
- Logical Sequence
Step 2. Physical Fitness Evaluation
- Applicants will participate in a series of strength-related exercises (Cooper Institute) and timed running events. Failure to achieve the required fitness level in any category will result in disqualification from further processing at that time. Applicants who fail are allowed to retest after six months. Click here for information regarding the specific physical fitness exercises.
Step 3. Employment Assessment Board
Applicants who are selected to move forward in the process will be scheduled to appear before the Employment Assessment Board. The Assessment Board’s responsibility is to assess the applicant’s qualities, personal characteristics and ability to perform as a police officer and to make a recommendation to the Chief of Police.
Personal History Book and Questionnaire
Applicants who successfully complete the preceding phases, will be given a (comprehensive) personal history book to be completed as soon as possible.
The following documents (if applicable) are required when the personal history book is submitted to the Recruiting Unit.
- Passport style photograph (head / shoulders only) taken within the previous 90 days
- Certified original birth certificate
- Certified high school transcript or G.E.D. certificate
- Certified college transcript
- DD214 (long form) or service letter from commanding officer
- Naturalization certificate
- Copy of marriage license
- Copy of divorce decree(s)
Applicant Personal History Procedure
After completing the personal history book, the applicant may be scheduled for an appointment to review the personal history book with a background investigator.
Applicants that have successfully completed the above steps and are selected for continued processing will be assigned to an investigator. The investigator will conduct a thorough investigation into the applicant’s background.
Conditional Job Offer
City of Seguin Human Resources will contact the applicant with a conditional job offer. The "condition" is successful passing drug and alcohol testing, medical physical, job related physical assessment, polygraph examination, psychological evaluation, including personality Inventory (MMPI), and firearm qualification.
Final selection is determined by the Chief of Police resulting in a formal, job offer from the City of Seguin.