Driver's Safety Course
- Driver’s Safety Course– You may wish to take a Driver’s Safety Course to prevent DPS from accessing points to your driving record.
- In order to qualify for the Driver’s Safety Course, you must:
- Have a valid Texas Driver's License ( Military or military dependants are not required to have a Texas Driver's License to qualify)
- Liability Insurance listing you as a covered driver
- Must not have taken the course in the last 12 months for the purpose of dismissing a ticket.
The amount of $114 ($139 for school zone violations)must be paid to the Municipal Court at the time of the request.
You will also be required to obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety – the court will provide you with the proper application.
Upon approval to take the DSC class, you will have 90 days to complete the class and return the required documents to the court. Once the court receives the documents, we will notify DPS of the course completion and the citation will not affect your driving record.
DSC IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR DEFENDANTS WITH A COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL) ; VIOLATIONS INVOLVING PASSING A SCHOOL BUS; VIOLATIONS THAT OCCUR IN A CONSTRUCTION ZONE; OR VIOLATIONS OF 25 MILES OVER THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT
The Court is not allowed to recommend a driving school. Please refer to the yellow pages of the telephone directory, under Driving Instruction and/or Driving Schools and call a number listed. You need only ask if their school is an approved course for the dismissal of a traffic citation. You can take the course anywhere within the State of Texas so long as the six-hour course is approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). You also may take the course on-line or by renting the video. You can visit TEA’s web site or the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation web site for locations of a driving school near you or for pre-approved on-lines courses.