Seguin History

The community of Seguin was established in 1838 by members of Mathew Caldwell's Gonzales Rangers, but was not incorporated until 1853. It was originally called Walnut Springs for the nearby fresh water sources. Just six months later the name was changed to honor Colonel Juan N. Seguin, one of Sam Houston's ablest Lieutenants throughout the struggle for Texas' independence. As leader of a dedicated group of Texans of Mexican ancestry, Col. Seguin participated in the great victory at San Jacinto. Later he served as a Republic of Texas Senator and as Mayor of San Antonio.

Related Links:
The Seguin Family Historical Society
Seguin Descendants Historical Preservation
The Heritage Museum
Seguin Conservation Society  
Texas Historical Commission

The Guadalupe River was discovered in 1689 by Alonzo DeLeon, who named it in honor of the patron saint of the expedition. DeLeon, and other later travelers, considered it to be the most beautiful river in Texas. Today, its' scenic beauty and clear waters still attract admiration from visitors thoughout Texas.

The Guadalupe River begins near the town of Hunt in Kerr County, where the North and South Forks of the river converge, and ends 431 miles later at San Antonio Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The Guadalupe River watershed encompasses an area of 5,994 square miles, and includes a wide diversity of geological, botanical, and aquatic life.

Get Notifications