SEGUIN, Texas – With the 4th of July holiday quickly approaching, the Seguin Fire Department reminds residents that it is illegal to possess or discharge fireworks inside the city limits. Violators of the ordinance will lose their fireworks and receive a citation.
According to the City of Seguin Ordinance Sec. 74-70, citizens should not “possess, use, manufacture, sell, transport or discharge fireworks within the city limits or 5,000 feet from the city limits.”
“The Seguin Fire and Police departments will be working together to enforce the fireworks ordinance,” said Fire Marshal Greg Dreiss. “If found illegally possessing or using fireworks, you could be fined up to $2,000,” he said.
If you choose to discharge fireworks outside of the City limits, seek permission from the landowner, use extreme caution and please remember the following:
• Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks
• Only use fireworks outdoors
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions
• Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks
• Alcohol and fireworks can be dangerous combination
• Be sure people are out of range before lighting fireworks
• Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks
• Children should not pick up leftover fireworks because they may still be active
• Never touch a firework after it has been lit
• Always have a bucket of water or water hose nearby
For more information, call the Seguin Fire Marshal’s Office at 830-401-2312.
# # #