Permits and Inspections

Attention Contractors: 

Starting January 2nd, Inspection Reports will be emailed automatically to the contacts on the permit. 

If you are not on the permit and would like an email about the inspection, then you will need to be added to the permit contact list by the permit holder. City staff will not be responsible for adding or removing contacts from the permit.

To be added to the permit, you must have an online account with us through our online portal at

The City of Seguin has recently adopted amended building permit fees based on square footage due to recent legislation (House Bill 852: Determining the amount of certain building permit and inspection fees) passed during the 86th Texas State Legislative Session.

What We Do

  • Licenses
  • Permits
  • Pre-Construction Meetings
  • Enforce Building Codes
  • Inspections
  • Floodplain Permits and Inspections

Codes in Effect

The City of Seguin has adopted the following Codes:

  • 2020 National Electric Code - Adopted by the State of Texas
  • 2018 National Fire Protection Code
  • 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
  • 2018  International Residential Code
  • 2018  International Fire Code
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2018  International Plumbing Code
  • 2018  International Mechanical Code
  • 2018  International Building Code
  • City Flood Ordinance and FEMA Guidelines
  • Seguin Unified Development Code

Do I Need a Permit?

In order to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, roof, re-roof or change the occupancy of a building or structure or install a fence, an application shall be made to the Building Official in order to obtain the required permit for the work. The licensed contractor for the project must submit the building permit application and building plans for review. Property owners that own and occupy a residence as their homestead can submit an application for a permit in they conduct the work themselves (see Seguin Code of Ordinances, Section 18-34).

The following work does not require a permit:

  • Painting
  • Minor repairs to a person's residence (see note)
  • Siding Installation
  • Window Replacement in an existing single-family home or duplex
  • Work on a homestead may be done by the property owner with the proper permits and in accordance with all required codes and city ordinances. The house must be owned AND occupied by the property owner and must be registered as the property owner's homestead with the Guadalupe County Appraisal District. If you hire out any phase of the building process, the contractor must be licensed with the City of Seguin.
  • Fences under seven (7) feet
  • Roofing above the deck

How Do I Apply?

Apply online through our Development Services Portal or you may contact our Permits Department at 830-401-2435.

NOTE: Application for Electric, Water and Wastewater are to be completed by a licensed contractor and should accompany the building permit application.

Contractor Registration and Licensing

The City of Seguin requires all contractors to be registered with Development Services Center prior to the issuance of any permit(s). Development Services Center will help you obtain or renew your city issued licenses or contractor registration. Registration requirements vary depending on the type of license or registration you are obtaining. To register, visit the Development Services Portal. Registration If you need additional assistance, please visit the CSS FAQ.


Certificates of Occupancy for One- and Two- Family Dwellings

The report of the approved building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy for one- and two- family residential dwellings (single-family homes and duplex units). For one- and two- family dwellings, the City of Seguin does not issue a separate document following the approval of the final inspection. Please see the attached letter from the Director of Planning and Codes (PDF) for more information.