- Police Department
- SPD Careers
- Police Officer Employment
- Qualifications for Employment
Qualifications for Employment
- Currently licensed Texas Peace Officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) or immediately able to obtain Texas Peace Officer License for current out-of-state licensed officers.
- Currently enrolled in a Texas Basic Peace Officer Academy within ten months of scheduled graduation (proof of enrollment and graduation date must be provided prior to written examination)
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Must have a high school diploma or a GED.
- Never been convicted, plead guilty (nolo contendere), nor have been on court-ordered community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class A misdemeanor or felony.
- During the last 10 years, you have not been convicted, plead guilty (nolo contendere), been on community service/probation or deferred adjudication for a Class B misdemeanor in this state or other state, or while serving in the military.
- Never have had a military court martial that resulted in a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge.
There are very few automatic bases for rejection. Even issues of prior misconduct, employee terminations, and arrests are usually not, in and of themselves, automatically disqualifying. However, deliberate misstatements or omissions can and often will result in your application being rejected regardless of the nature or reason for the misstatements/omissions. In fact, the number one reason individuals "fail" background investigations is because they deliberately withhold or misrepresent job-relevant information from their prospective employer.
The Seguin Police Department maintains a strict policy on tattoos. All visible tattoos must be appropriate in content and in keeping with a professional image. *** Please be aware prior to applying that no tattoos, body art, temporary tattoos, brands or mutilations can be visible above the collar line, which includes the head, neck, face, scalp or hands with the exception of one ring-sized band on one finger. These types of tattoos will be a disqualification for applicants.