Starcke Park Golf Course is located within Max Starcke Park, Seguin’s largest municipal park. The property was purchased by the City of Seguin in 1937.The front nine and clubhouse at Starcke Park Golf Course, named for Seguin’s mayor at the time, Max Starcke, opened in 1938.
The original nine-hole golf course was designed by John Bredemus, the first resident golf course designer in Texas. He went on to design 19 other courses in Texas, including Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth.
In 1955, it became one of the few integrated courses in the south through the efforts of Mayor Roger Moore, Pastor R.L. Sandberry and Clarence Little.
Starcke Park Golf Course has had at least a couple of pros that made names for themselves professionally, including “Lefty” Stackhouse, who helped Seguin High School establish a golf program and led them to four successive state championships in the 1960’s. The Club House at the course, designed by Seguin native Marvin Eickenroht, was named after “Lefty” Stackhouse in 1977.
One of Stackhouse’s students, Shelly Mayfield, was part of three of those state championship teams, and went on to play on the PGA Tour, where he had three wins and finished in the top 10 of two major championships, the 1954 U.S. Open and the 1956 Masters.
Mayfield later became a course designer, and designed many famous tracks, including Doral Country Club in Florida and La Costa Country Club in California, both of which have hosted the PGA Tour. He returned to Seguin and designed the back nine at the course, which opened in 1980.
In March 2019, the Seguin City Council approved awarding TSG Architects a contract for the design, renovation and remodeling of the Club House with the Koehler Company as the contractor for the $1,159,650 project. The project was funded entirely from golf course resources, and the renovated Club House was completed in 2020.