Permits and Inspections
Chief Building Official
What We Do
• Pre-Construction Meetings
• Enforce Building Code
• Floodplain Permits and Inspections
**Permit Counter Hours**
The Permits and Inspections counter is open to the public from 9 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
The change allows staff an extra hour in the morning and half hour in the evening, to take care of critical tasks like preparing daily deposits and entering inspection requests that come in by phone, fax and email. These changes will ensure our team is able to balance the needs of all of our customers and allow staff to complete other duties required of our department.
Codes in Effect
The City of Seguin has adopted the following Codes:
- 2011 National Electric Code – Adopted by the State of Texas
- 2015 National Fire Protection Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Fire Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- City Flood Ordinance and FEMA Guidelines
- Seguin Unified Development Code
Do I Need a Permit?
Any owner, authorized agent or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, roof, re-roof or change the occupancy of a building or structure, install fence or to cause any such work to be done shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit for the work.
The following work does not require a permit:
- Minor repairs to a person’s residence*
- Siding Installation
- Work on a homestead, including new construction, may be done by the property owner with the proper permits and in accordance with all required codes and city ordinances. If you hire out any phase of the building process, the contractor must be licensed with the City of Seguin.
Garage Sale Permits
Having a garage sale? A permit is required. To get a permit, bring $5.00 and proof of address (Driver’s License or utility bill) to the Building Inspection Department on the second floor of City Hall. Permits are issued the same day Monday - Friday.
How Do I Apply?
Permit applications and fee information are available here. Applications for building permits are made at the Building Inspection Department at City Hall.
- If you have any questions, Building Inspection staff will be glad to assist you.
*Application for Electric, Water and Wastewater are to be completed by a licensed contractor and should accompany the building permit application.
- Apply online or search for active permits through our Citizen Portal.
Permitted work must be performed by a City of Seguin Licensed Contractor.
How to Obtain a Contractor’s License
Click here for a step-by-step guide to online testing through Pearsonvue.
Click here for more information on trade licenses.
Applications and Fees